If you are experiencing abuse, there are many ways that your employer can support you, and ways that you can keep yourself safe. Here are some tips you can use to make sure you are getting as much help as possible at work:
- Check to see if your workplace has a policy and procedures for supporting domestic violence survivors. Decide who at work you will inform of your situation, including building security.
- Provide relevant co-workers a photo of your abuser for quick identification and copies of any Protection or Restraining Orders. Instruct them to call 911 if they see your abuser in the vicinity or if your abuser tries to contact you at work.
- Develop a system for screening your telephone calls.
- Depending on your job, you may be able to alter your work hours, relocate your office or workstation, or transfer to another site.
- Devise a safety plan for leaving work, such as exiting through the back door, having co-workers walk with you, etc.
- Alter your route coming and going from work.