Protection Orders

There are some legal actions you can take to increase your safety. To consider your choices, talk through the implications and plan for your safety, call our 24-hour Helpline at 206-737-0242.

Civil Options in King County

Domestic Violence Protection Order (DVPO)

You can file for a temporary or permanent DVPO if you are age 16 and older, and are afraid you will be physically harmed, or if you have experienced bodily injury, assault or stalking by your:

  • Spouse or former spouse
  • The father or mother of your children
  • Current or former dating partner

You can also file for a DVPO if you are age 13 and older if your dating partner is age 16 or older.

Other people who can file for a DVPO are:

  • Adults who live(d) together now or in the past
  • People who are related biologically or legally as parent and child
  • Adults who are related by blood or marriage

Restraining Order

You can file for a temporary or permanent Restraining Order as part of a family law case such as divorce, legal separation, child custody and parenting plans.

Extreme Risk Protection Order (ERPO)

If you can demonstrate that a spouse, domestic partner, dating partner or the father or mother of your child is threatening to harm themselves or others, a temporary ERPO suspends a person’s access to guns. This can also apply to other family or household members.

Washington VINE Protective Order (WA VPO)

This is an automated service that can notify you when your Protection Order has been served or is about to expire. This service can also notify you if the person who is constrained by a Protection Order has applied to purchase a gun or a concealed weapons permit.

Other Civil Options in King County

If the person causing you harm is not in one of the categories eligible for a DVPO, you can file for one of these protection orders, if applicable:

Sexual Assault Protection Order (SAPO)
Stalking Protection Order (STPO)
Anti-Harassment Order (AHPO)
Vulnerable Adult Protection Order (VAPO)

Criminal Options in King County

No Contact Order

A No Contact Order may be issued by a judge in criminal cases involving domestic violence to prohibit the defendant from contacting victims or witnesses. A No Contact Order may be issued regardless of whether the survivor wants one.

For more information about your options: (they have resources for all folks anywhere in the United States)
Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence